Rear-end collisions are some of the most common car accidents that occur in the United States. While many people picture minor fender benders when they think of rear-end crashes between standard passenger cars, being rear-ended by a large commercial truck is different.
Occupants of smaller vehicles involved in rear-end truck collisions frequently suffer extensive vehicle damage and catastrophic injuries. If you were involved in a Los Angeles rear-end truck accident, contact the experienced attorneys of Custodio & Dubey LLP for a free consultation. Our team can help you understand your legal rights and pursue the compensation you need on the path to recovery.
What to Do After Being Rear-Ended by a Truck in Los Angeles
The aftermath of a truck accident can feel incredibly overwhelming. It’s difficult to know where to start. After getting medical treatment for your injuries, it’s time to contact an experienced California truck accident lawyer.
Commercial truck accident claims are legally complex. Usually, settlement negotiations involve working with multiple insurance companies at once. Insurers will expect you to be confused by the claims process and use that to their advantage.
If you did not require emergency medical transportation from the accident scene, there are some things you can do to protect your rights and give yourself the best shot at obtaining maximum compensation from a rear-end truck accident claim. These include:
- Gather as much evidence as possible, including photos of the vehicles and any visible injuries. Get contact information and statements from eyewitnesses if you can.
- Respectfully direct calls from insurance providers directly to your attorney. If you have not had time to speak with a lawyer, tell the insurance company that you are in the process of seeking legal counsel and will not make any statements until then.
- Record everything you can remember about the crash while your memory is fresh.
- Follow your doctor’s treatment plan strictly.
- Avoid discussing the accident with anyone aside from your truck accident attorney.
Causes of Rear-End Truck Accidents
Most rear-end collisions are caused by the negligence of the driver following another car. The most common contributing factors in rear-end truck accidents include:
- Distracted driving: Truck drivers who are texting while driving or are focused on other distractions may not notice traffic slowing down in time to avoid a rear-end collision.
- Impaired driving: Driving while intoxicated impairs reaction time, judgment, and depth perception, making rear-end collisions more likely.
- Inexperienced driving: Trucks need more space to slow down and stop. Poorly trained truck drivers may not hit the brakes in time to avoid striking the car in front of them.
- Drowsy driving: Truck driver fatigue was listed as a contributing factor in 13 percent of truck accident crashes in one federal study. Drowsy driving is considered as dangerous as drunk driving. When one of the vehicles involved in a drowsy driving crash is an 18-wheeler, the consequences are often devastating.
- Aggressive driving: Truckers who speed, tailgate, or weave between lanes may not leave themselves enough time to react in traffic and avoid rear-ending another vehicle.
- Lack of maintenance: If a large truck is not properly inspected, maintained, or repaired, critical components such as brakes or tires can fail and lead to rear-end crashes.
- Overloaded trailers: Trailers have strict weight limits. When they are overweight, the resulting stress can cause tires to burst or brake failure, contributing to a loss of control and rear-end truck accidents.
- Defective truck parts: In rare cases, a truck part may have a design or manufacturing flaw that causes an equipment failure in transit.
Liability for a Rear-End Truck Crash
To receive compensation after a Los Angeles truck accident, you must be able to demonstrate who was responsible for the crash. Any of the following people or entities may be at fault for a rear-end truck collision:
- Truck driver
- Truck company
- Truck owner
- Other motorists
- Truck mechanics and repair shops
- Automakers and parts manufacturers
- Cargo loading company
In some cases, more than one party could be held responsible for a rear-end truck accident. That’s why it’s critical to work with a knowledgeable lawyer who can determine liability for you. Compensation from multiple sources could put more money in your pocket.
Compensation for Rear-End Truck Accident Injuries
People injured in rear-end truck accidents may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past and current medical bills
- Projected future medical expenses
- Incidental expenses, such as the costs of travel to medical appointments
- Lost wages
- Lost earning potential
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages, which are intended to punish parties who were either egregiously reckless or intentionally malicious
Why It’s Important to Have an Experienced Rear-End Truck Accident Lawyer Supporting You
It’s crucial to have a lawyer with experience handling truck accident claims in charge of your case. Both federal and state laws govern the trucking industry. You need someone who understands the intersection between those laws and how they apply to your case.
The stakes are also higher in rear-end truck accident claims. The damages in tractor-trailer crashes are generally more severe compared to the average car accident. This increases the potential value of your case if your claim is successful. But it also means that insurance companies will be fighting hard to minimize your compensation by pushing the blame onto you. Even though the following driver is usually at fault for a rear-end accident, there are situations where the leading driver could play a role in causing the wreck.
An experienced rear-end truck accident lawyer can help you by:
- Reviewing your case in a free consultation
- Connecting you with medical specialists and arranging transportation to appointments
- Conducting an independent investigation of the crash to locate valuable evidence
- Managing important documents and deadlines on your behalf
- Communicating with insurance carriers for you
- Negotiating aggressively for maximum compensation for you
- Representing you at trial if the insurance provider refuses to make a full and fair settlement offer
Contact Our Los Angeles Rear-End Truck Accident Lawyers Today
After a Los Angeles rear-end truck accident, your priority should be rest and rehabilitation. You can count on the skilled truck accident attorneys at Custodio & Dubey LLP to handle the rest for you. We’re relentless in pursuit of legal compensation for injured Californians, and our results are a testament to the fierce advocacy and commitment we give to every client.
Let’s get started today. Contact us for your free case review.