Burbank Personal Injury Lawyer
The city of Burbank is approximately 12 miles northwest from downtown Los Angeles and is known as being the “Media Capital of the World”. Situated only a short distance away from Hollywood, the area is home to a number of media and entertainment companies including The Walt Disney Company, NBC, Warner Bros. Entertainment and Cartoon Network Studios.
As of the 2010 US Census, the city was home to well over 100,000 people. Many of these individuals commute to work by bike via the Chandler Bike Path and other passageways on a regular basis to get to work, go to the market, and to reach other destinations.
California Is One of the Leading States for Bicyclist Fatalities
Each year California is one of the leading states for bicyclist fatalities. In 2014, California had 128 fatalities, just falling behind Florida which had 139.
- 71% of bicyclist fatalities occurred in urban areas
- 20% of bicyclist fatalities occurred between the hours of 6pm and 8:59pm
- In 35% of crashes involving cyclists and drivers, either the driver of the vehicle or the cyclist had a BAC of 0.08 or higher
What Is Causing Bicyclist Injuries
The 2012 National Survey on Bicyclist and Pedestrian Attitudes and Behaviors cites the following as being the six leading causes of injury:
- Hit by a car (29%)
- Fell (17%)
- Roadway or walkway is not in good repair (13%)
- Rider error or inattention (13%)
- Crash/collision (7%)
- Dog ran out (4%)
If Another Vehicle Causes You Injury While You Are Cycling
If you have been involved in a crash with a vehicle, another cyclist or a pedestrian, it is important that you do the following:
- Wait for law enforcement to arrive. The police will take and file a police report which can help your claim.
- Write down your version of events. As soon as you are able, make notes about what happened and take pictures of the scene and your injuries.
- Obtain contact information. Get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of drivers, cyclists, pedestrians and witnesses.
Call Custodio and Dubey, LLP today
If you have been injured while riding your bicycle in the Los Angeles area, Custodio and Dubey LLP can help. Our personal injury lawyers proudly represent cyclists who have been injured due to the negligence of another and we maintain an excellent track record of securing the best results for our clients.
We invite you to call us today to arrange a free consultation at (888) 200-9431.